Friday, October 31, 2014

The schools themselves

I've been doing more research (of course, because that's all I can do at this point), and I've found out some very interesting stuff.

First of all, the more I learn, the more excited I am to teach at one of these schools. What teacher wouldn't want to teach in a private facility that pays like a public school-- or better? With actual opportunities for saving money instead of living paycheck to paycheck? Ahh, one can dream. Money aside, many of these schools are just gorgeous. Most of them emphasize educating the "whole child" (read: less emphasis on standardized testing, they don't cut art and music and there's money for field trips) and they want the students to be aware of their world around them. I've said I love my school, and I do. We do the best we can with what we have, but compared to what's offered to the international schools? Wow. I want to be a part of that, to contribute what I know and to learn their ways.

And I want my kids there. My girls are sharp, curious and open, just right for this experience. One day Nick and I were eating some pretty stinky cheese. Sascha smelled it and made a big "eeww! ewww!" face and noises. Then a thoughtful pause. Then, she plugged her nose and popped a piece in her mouth. I looked at Nick and thought, this kid's ready. Sophie waves at everyone in public. At the dentist last week, she walked right in and hugged the hygienist, whom she'd never met before. I'm thinking she'd fit right into the Land of Smiles.

I've also read some horrible things people have said about teaching in the Middle East. Oh, my. Lots of super-rich kids expecting to do nothing and get A's, and schools that provide just that. It made me realize that we actually ARE doing a pretty good job here in the US, despite the bad publicity and scapegoating of the last few years. I've managed to unearth some unsavory tidbits about micromanaging administrators in some desirable locations, too. It's all so interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment