Monday, October 27, 2014

Still waiting

I know, I probably started this blog too early. There is an awful lot of waiting going on. I did find a new website where international school teachers can sort of unofficially dish on their schools. It has given me some good information, although it's not as extensive as I'd like. I learned that one school has kind of a controlling jerk of a principal (I had to read between the lines on that one), and another school expects an insane amount of extra work from their teachers. But I also learned that there are a few schools on my list that sound incredible to work for. Their teachers do a much better job of selling it than the (largely objective) hiring agency. Learning all of this is an interesting process.

Of course, I'm also learning that it's the job fairs where most people get hired. Ours isn't until February. This means more waiting... waiting... and waiting. And even then, the job fairs are two days of being thrown into chaos and spit out with jobs. It sounds crazy and exhausting and exciting, but it also sounds like there's almost no way to prepare for it because there are constant surprises and quick decisions to be made. So I can yak all I want about jobs that are opening, but I have a feeling none of it will matter until the job fair.

That said, I found a teacher on the new "inside scoop" website who works at NIST in Bangkok. I asked him a bunch of questions and got a response today! He sounds very positive about the school, which of course intrigues me more than ever, but he also said that the school gets over two dozen applications per day. Per day! And it's more during the hiring season (winter). I just have to remind myself that what's meant to be, will be, and no matter where we end up, it's going to be great.

Except China. We're not going to China.

No comments:

Post a Comment