Thursday, December 31, 2015

Happy New Year from The FUTURE!

The future is AMAZING. There are flying cars!

I just wanted to throw this up here quickly because we're very busy toodling around Bangkok so I will not get a chance to craft a perfect blog entry, and I've been dying to show everyone the full video of the day we spent with elephants. The camp is called Patara, and they are the real deal in ethical conservation. This was one of the best days of my life.


Now, before you get too jealous, I have to tell you what happened a few nights ago. Our washing machine is outside, like many Thai houses. I went to load the laundry and felt something soft squish under my bare feet. There are snails everywhere here, so I figured I'd stepped on a slug. Nope. It was a leech. It looked exactly like they do in the movies, except it was brown instead of black. I stepped on a 3" leech with my bare foot and kind of popped it open. Vile.

Happy 2016!

2 comments:

  1. That video is amazing. So fun to watch! There are some gorgeous shots in there too. Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The visit with the elephants was totally amazing. I was fortunate to ride one as a child at the Denver zoo. I'm sure that's impossible now. I have so many comment I want to say because I just got around to reading all the way back to when you just moved in to the house which is beautifully modern. First I envy you for taking that giant leap. Taking a step would have been moving within the US. But you followed your dreams and leaped to a country site unseen at least to you and Nick and with two children and with no "safety net".Not like our parent when they moved, they had a sponsor and every one around them in the community spoke English.
    But you bravely get out there and ride your bike and walk through your city and find out what is out there. When you could just lock your self up and breakdown. And as your other friends have said please don't stop sharing your adventures. It is not only a way for us to live vicariously through you but it sounds like it seems to be cathartic for you. And some day you might want to put together a BRATS/expats guide to Chang Rai/Mai.
    I swear they must have Capri sonne every where on Earth. They will probably find it on the moon someday. And the pickles that were in the German food section in the top right corner are the same ones my grocery store sells. Lol
    I can't believe you are taking these pictures and videos on your iPhone. They are turning out great!!
    Now one more observation and I'll leave you alone. I know that feeling you have about wanting to be back in Europe. I have it every day. I am 1/2 Slovak. It turns out one of my cousins is a member of Parliament and also the Mayor of our Ancestral home. I unlike you need to have a safety net to fall back on. I know it's because I am single but also because of my medical problems. I have also been in touch with several cousins there so it wouldn't be bad and it's Europe. But I'm broke and live disability check to disability check but if I ever came in to some money I wouldn't let the door hit me in the ass. And God forbid Trump makes it on the ticket against Sanders, I would vote for Sanders!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete