Wednesday, March 25, 2015

What If We Did It?



I can’t even describe the last few weeks. In a nutshell: We were talking to Cairo, a neat little school three miles from the pyramids. We got very close to a job offer, and decided against it. 

We went several long weeks with nothing. No word anywhere, our letters of application ignored all across the globe. I started to plan what I’d put in my garden this summer since it looked like we were sticking around. I didn’t update this blog because I felt too sorry for myself. I was low, low, low. It’s hard to recover when you’ve taken almost two years to plan something this big, get yourself mentally prepared for it, and nothing happens. I gained ten pounds and watched the snow pile up to my eyeballs outside.

Then La Paz, Bolivia called. The guy liked us, we liked him, the school and city were just gorgeous. God, those mountains. We were awaiting his official offer and were planning to accept it when we got the e-mail from Thailand, requesting an interview. An hour after that, we were offered the La Paz job. This was two days ago. 

We stalled the La Paz guy while we talked to Thailand. We had two interviews in quick succession, and we got the e-mail this morning with the job offer. We’re moving to Chiang Rai, northern Thailand, in about four months!

So here is the “what if we did it” part. They don’t have any shipping allowance. This means we either pay to ship our own stuff, or we just don’t ship anything. We’re thinking of the latter. And this means we’ll be moving to the other side of the world with nothing but suitcases. 

I really don’t have much to say beyond that, besides… holy crap. We are going to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment